What life has taught me
When I was 10 years old, my father decided to top dress the back yard. He ordered a pile of dirt that looked like a mountain to me and my 12 year old brother John. Then he told us that we had to help him move it. He filled two wheelbarrows to the top, and stood back to watch us work. I remember at the time thinking, “Wow, Dad, so unfair!”
But I moved all of that dirt, alongside my brother. I got the job done, just as Dad knew I would. Now, I look back and realise my dad was reinforcing crucial life lessons with that pile of dirt:
- Life isn’t always easy.
- I can do anything I put my mind to.
- I am equal to anyone else; no ifs or buts or qualifiers.
- Just because my brother was bigger and stronger it didn’t mean I couldn’t match him wheelbarrow for wheelbarrow.
I’m grateful for those lessons, and I use them every day in my business. I’ve always worked hard for everything I’ve achieved, and I’m proud of the career, the business and the life I’ve created for me and my family.
And I love what I do.
Who I am
I am a mum of twin boys who definitely keep me on my toes! I would describe myself as positive, fair, honest, tenacious and a great juggler.
I’ll try anything once, but I often swear while I’m doing it 🙂 I’ve built a cubby house for my boys, I’ve trekked Kokoda, I’m an advanced open water scuba diver, I’ve paraglided, I’ve jet skied, and climbed mountains.
Oh, and I’ve built a business from nothing to the award winning agency it is today, with 20 years of quality work under our belt. I love working with my team who are smart, loyal and absolutely kick-ass at what they do. I am passionate about partnering with my clients and I am determined to make a real difference to their businesses every day.
What you need right now
Some things that make me proud
- Being named owner manager of the year by the Australian Institute of Management
- Being invited to speak in the International Women’s Day debate in 2013
- Celebrating 10 years of my business Mettro, and taking that moment to appreciate the fruits of our hard labour (and I can’t believe now it’s nearly 20)
- Giving birth to my beautiful twin boys